Code of Ethics
As a member of The Church Network:
powered by NACBA, I commit myself to Christian, ethical, and lawful conduct, including the proper use of authority and appropriate decorum when acting as a church professional. I will use this Code of Ethics as a guide in performing my duties with trustworthiness and integrity, as a Christian, as a colleague, and as a leader in the congregation where I serve.
As a leader in church administration, I will not attempt to exercise individual authority over the church community except as explicitly set forth in its governing policies.
- Be committed to the mission of the Church;
- Strongly advocate that business practices are consistent with the authority of Scripture and civil law where there is no conflict;
- Be responsive to my church’s or religious institution’s authorities, advocating ethical business practices as my standard;
- Perform all duties as outlined in my job description, fulfilling my fiduciary responsibility to the members of the church;
- Be knowledgeable of the documents governing the operations of the church;
- Respect the processes of the church’s governing body by not undermining the decisions of that body;
- Remain current with changes or advancements in the areas of financial accountability, and human resource management;
- Openly and candidly share individual concerns, information, and knowledge with professional peers and church leadership;
- Bring to the immediate attention of the appropriate leadership, any condition or action that I believe exceeds a current operating policy or is in non-compliance with any governing document;
- Respect the confidentiality appropriate to issues of a sensitive nature;
- Exercise honesty in all written and interpersonal interaction;
- Show professionalism to all those with whom I make contact on behalf of the church;
- Make every reasonable effort to protect the integrity and promote the positive image of the church and its members;
- Encourage and value involvement by members of the church community;
- Respond in a spiritual manner consistent with my faith when confronted with conflict.
I pledge to:
- Participate with professional colleagues in organized efforts to share new knowledge and development in professional practices;
- Be an advocate for the association and to advance the values and benefits of membership to the ministry leaders whom I support and others with whom I come into contact;
- Strive to be a life-long learner, seeking to attain the highest degree of competency in my field of work.